10 Weird Things You Should Know About Florida
Sure, it’s hot sunny and full of fun things to do, but Florida has some pretty interesting particulars. It’s not listed below, but please, whatever you do, DON’T play on a drum kit on the beach in Miami. Just don’t. Okay? Thanks.
1. Every year Flora-Bama Beach Bar hosts the annual Mullet Toss in which thousands of Floridians stand at the state line and, um, toss dead fish into Alabama.
2. Orlando attracts more visitors in the United States than any other amusement park. Must be good then.
3. In Miami, it is forbidden to imitate an animal. Seriously. That’s a law.
4. It is illegal to skateboard without a license. NO EXCEPTION KIDS.
5. If you tie an elephant to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle. Best leave your pets at home. Save yourself the hassle.
6. The world’s biggest strawberry shortcake was made on February 19, 1999 in McCall Park, the Winter Strawberry Capital of the World. The 6,000 pound cake became a Guinness World record. Florida was very proud.
7. It is illegal to sing in a public place while wearing a swimsuit. So don’t try any funny business just because you’re on holiday.
8. You may not fart in a public place after 6pm. Or, for social reasons, at any time, really..
9. Gatorade was named after the University of Florida Gators where the drink was first developed. In case you were wondering.
10. Miami Beach pharmacist Benjamin Green invented the first suntan cream in 1944. He did this by cooking cocoa butter in a granite coffee pot on his wife’s stove. She trained him up well then.